- Professional Engineer, New York State (#067275)
- Private Pilot (FAA)
- BS, MS, PhD, 1974, Environmental Engineering (Limnology), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.
My Master’s Thesis was on the paleoecological use of diatoms as environmental indicators in Lake George. My Doctoral Dissertation subject was a Simulation Model of Microbial Ecology and was also related to work done at Lake George. During the late 1970s, I edited the series of books for Academic Press, The Lakes of New York State. From 1980 to 1983, I was stationed in Lake George Village and directed the Lake George site for the National Urban Runoff Program (NURP).
During my later tenure at DEC, I served as the Chief of the Inland Lakes and Freshwaters Section. I was the supervisor of seven scientists, three professional engineers, other professionals and support staff conducting studies concerning all aspects of lake management and aquatic ecology.
My areas of effort included water quality monitoring, TMDLs, water quality standard development, simulation modeling, nuisance aquatic plant control, dredging and other lake restoration techniques, acid precipitation surveys, toxic substances, hazardous waste remediation, comprehensive land use and water quality plan development and implementation of the New York State Clean Water/Clean Air Bond Act and Environmental Protection Fund. I also prepared testimony and affidavits for litigation.
I have extensive experience working with local government officials, preparing and managing large, comprehensive grants and projects.
- Research Scientist 4, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation 1974-2014 (retired).
- Visiting Scientist, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Darrin Freshwater Institute.
- Consultant to USEPA and South Florida Water Management District, Lake Okeechobee.
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Schools of Engineering and Management. Taught courses in Environmental Management and Environmental Systems Engineering (math modeling).
- Adjunct Lecturer, Hudson Valley Community College (SUNY) Department of Civil Technology. Designed and taught undergraduate-level course in limnology.
- Research Assistant, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Freshwater Institute. Participated on a team of scientists working on simulation modeling of aquatic systems as part of the U.S. International Biological Program.
Other Activities and Experience:
- WRGB Evening News Environmental Segment
- Peer Reviewer, National Science Foundation, United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Author of three books on New York’s lakes and numerous peer-reviewed articles, technical reports and presentations.
- Former Chairman, New Scotland Republican Committee
Professional and Honorary Societies:
- Sigma Xi (Research Honorary)
- Chi Epsilon (Engineering Honorary)
- North American Lake Management Society (founding member, Board of Directors)
- New York State Federation of Lake Associations (founding member, Chief Science Advisory Board)