Managing Program Director
Reports to: President
Executive leadership on the core science-to-solutions programs of the Lake George Association, serving as direct report to the President in leading programs through their development, implementation, and management. This position will be critical to ensuring that the LGA’s comprehensive commitment serves as a working model for protection of fresh waters anywhere. Fundamental to the role will be providing the caliber of leadership and vision for programming responsive to the intensifying influence of climate change.
As a lead member of the executive management team, work with staff, partners, and contractors to:
- Manage development and execution of the Lake Protector program that will aggregate and apply priority data to engage every property in the basin in reducing their impacts on water quality.
- Establish and advance next generation programming to stem the spread of Hemlock Wolly Adelgid (HWA), a highly destructive terrestrial invasive species, applying priority research, technologies, data, financial and human capital to do so.
- Direct creation and implementation of programming to curb Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs) formation, employing all available data, research, modeling and forecasting to guide a best practices approach capable of assessing and reducing HABs risk.
- Establish a multi-lake network of science-to-solutions partners comprised of targeted waterbodies to scale execution of Lake George programs (including AIS prevention). Create and build a systematized knowledge exchange with partners resulting in a constituency noted for distinguished and expert opinion.
- Guide and direct the Jefferson Project on the parameters of their feedback and forecasting functions, monitoring and measuring changes in water quality to document results of impact reduction work (nutrient pollution from wastewater & stormwater, road salt, etc.) and applying scenario analyses to project future changes requiring anticipatory/preemptive measures.
- Develop and implement climate change specific programming that leverages the diversity of commitment, application of research/technologies, and latest advances on resilience measures to make Lake George a destination for understanding and action.
- Lead and direct science-to-solutions operations to align with the LGA’s recently completed strategic plan to ensure necessary program continuity and evolution.
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Demonstrated ability to partner, collaborate and communicate with diverse groups regarding program data, outcomes and steps needed to execute solutions.
- Ability to motivate, lead, and manage LGA team and constituents to create and implement innovative ideas for effective protection initiatives.
- Outstanding communication skills: an attentive listener, articulate speaker, and clear and persuasive writer. Notable public speaking and writing (publication) experience is a plus.
- Comfortable and competent with big data, data analytics and data/scenario modeling.
- Excellent strategic, organizational, project and people management skills.
- Desire to work in an innovative, collaborative, high energy, and mission-driven culture.
- Decisive, self-motivated, and results-oriented, comfortable managing diverse projects within a consistent strategic framework and timeline.
- Organizational leader with the ability to motivate and inspire confidence among staff, colleagues, Directors, and partners.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the values of the LGA: Reverence for Nature, Inclusion, Integrity, and Courage.
Experience, Expertise, and Education
- Master's degree a plus. Required: Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in a field related to Environmental Science/Natural Resources Management.
- 5+ years of experience in a related conservation field.
- Completed significant field studies and projects with demonstrated leadership ability to effectively implement, manage, deliver, and track results on multiple program priorities.
Salary is commensurate with experience and prior achievement and includes a full employee benefits package. Relocation is not provided.
To apply, please send resume with cover letter to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.