Floating Classroom First Mate
Job Type: Seasonal Part-time, hourly
Reports to: Director of School and Family Programs
Key working relationships: Protection Outreach Specialist, Floating Classroom Captain
About the Lake George Association:
The Lake George Association is the preeminent Lake-protection entity dedicated to safeguarding The Queen of American Lakes in Upstate New York. The LGA has architected and advanced a science-guided, partner-driven model of freshwater protection designed for adaptation and scaling across the country and world-wide.
The LGA brings together the world-class science of The Jefferson Project freshwater research partnership and the Lake George Waterkeeper, with input from our Council of Science Advisors; the dedicated volunteer efforts of our Citizen Scientists; bold public and private protection partnerships; community education; public policy advocacy; and direct investments in protection programs and activities to deliver an unsurpassed level of care for a Lake unrivaled in its beauty and cleanliness.
Join our team aboard the Floating Classroom! The Floating Classroom is an informative and interactive family program aboard the Rosalia Anna Ashby provides participants the opportunity to learn about the remarkable ecology and health of our Lake — and how to protect it — through hands-on activities and experiments.
During this fun- and fact-filled cruise, participants measure water clarity, catch zooplankton, investigate other water quality parameters — and return to shore with a whole new understanding of what it takes to keep Lake George clear and clean.
This program lasts anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2 hours. Some days will have two programs in one day. First Mates for the Floating Classroom will assist the Captain and Educator to safely conduct our education programs. They will assist the captain with preparing the boat, a 40-ft catamaran, before a program, untying, and tying the boat safely to the dock, keeping a watchful eye for any hazards while out on the lake, and assisting the Educator with setting up program equipment. A training session will be provided before the season starts. New hires will be required to complete a background check to be in accordance with the LGA’s Child Protection Policy.
The Floating Classroom First Mate works aboard the Floating Classroom alongside the Floating Classroom Captain and Educator.
- Securely tying the boat to the dock to ensure participants are safely boarding and leaving the Floating Classroom
- Assisting the Educator by setting up Floating Classroom experiment equipment
- Assisting participants with tangled experiment equipment
- Making sure the participants are safe through the duration of the program
- Be an extra eye for the Floating Classroom Captain when the boat is out on the water
- Help prepare the Floating Classroom before a scheduled program
- Accurately fill out time sheets
The LGA Education staff will work with the Floating Classroom’s Captains and Crew to create a schedule for the season (May-October). Programs take place on weekdays only.
During the months of May & June: Most of the programs are school fieldtrips. Some days only have one trip, while others have two trips. Programs are rain or shine but will be canceled due to thunderstorms.
During the months of July & August: Public programs occur once a week with two trips in a day. Other summer camps/groups are scheduled throughout the summer. Programs are rain or shine but will be canceled due to thunderstorms.
During the months of September & October: Most of the programs are school fieldtrips. Some days only have one trip, while others have two trips. Programs are rain or shine but will be canceled due to thunderstorms.
Desired Personal Characteristics:
- Ability to adapt and have a flexible schedule
- Ability to work effectively with diverse public audiences
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the values of the LGA: Reverence for Nature, Inclusion, Integrity, and Courage
Experience and Expertise:
- Experience securely tying a boat to a dock *Preferred*
- Experience working with the public and children
To apply, please send resume with cover letter to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.